Thursday, September 25, 2008

Top Model Teaches Lessons: Part 2

Before you ask, the answer is yes! There is no gas in Atlanta. The average person has to travel around for 30 minutes before actually finding gas! Can you sense my slight worry?

I’ve been a fan of Top Model since the very first season (when nobody really watched it yet)! I thought the idea was pure genius! What a great way to make money, further diversify the modeling industry, give everyday women a shot at stardom, and give vertically-challenged everyday women (like me *smile*) the chance to peek into how the industry really works! Although the show has changed with the progression of the seasons, it’s still a show that I look forward to watching.

Now during undergrad, I became completely oblivious to TV. Maybe because I didn’t have cable readily accessible to me, but I literally didn’t watch anything but DVDs on the weekends and on occasion, during the week when my cousin and I needed a breather. Needless to say, I haven’t watched quite a few seasons of Top Model, still have no clue what’s happened after season 4 of Girlfriends (how did they manage to write Toni off all willy-nilly?), and what’s American Idol, again?

Anyway, I found this great website that uses Youtube videos to catch people up on entire seasons of shows and movies that they may have missed. When I log on to the internet, I don’t wanna see Yahoo, Blogger, Ed2010, Clutch, Facebook, Girlprops or any of my other regularly visited sites. I’m addicted to this thing now! I won’t say the name because I’m not sure if it’s legal or not and I’m NOT trying get in trouble. Email me on the sneak tip and I’ll tell ya!...or just go to Youtube.

But as I watch episodes back to back during my down time, I’ve noticed a common thread. When the models get to the bottom two and end up coming back, they work so hard and end up rising to the top of the pack the next week. Most have to hit rock bottom and risk losing it all before they can make it back up to the top. There are exceptions like Brie, who was in the bottom of Season 5 for like 6 episodes. But, for the most part, it takes a true scare before they make it. I think that’s how a lot of people are with life. It takes hitting rock bottom before they can work really really hard to make sure that they don’t end up at the bottom again. I know that’s how I am. But, then you wonder…is hitting rock bottom really a person’s fault or a result of neglecting responsibilities? Or is it inevitable so that one can learn that his/her destiny, in a way, is NOT in their own hands so they shouldn’t try to go outside of their “pre-determined” will from God? I once heard Max Lucado say that a person can’t do anything they put their mind to simply because if it’s not in his will, they won’t be successful at it. That disturbed me to the core and so after that, I would consciously close my ears when I heard his name before a quote. I wish that God would send a tangible memo that said “Dear ____, This is what you’re supposed to do with your life. Sincerely, God.

Waiting on the answer, the question, the commands, or the green light can be quite cumbersome and confusing.

My question: Can we avoid rock bottom but still learn the lesson intended?

No comments: