Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you? Where are we now?

As I sat in a room of rambunctious 11th graders and a teacher who was desperately trying to calm us down, the principal got on the intercom and informed us that a plane had hit the one of the Twin Towers. I couldn’t believe it. But, oddly enough, my teacher acted like it was nothing and continued talking. I felt quite uncomfortable with that especially as students were sitting there in shock. No one quite understood why it happened and didn’t know what to think. My first question was “how in the world could that have happened?” My second question involved whether or not the FAA had some type of way to prevent something like this. But, somewhere deep down, I knew there was no way it could’ve been an accident. It just didn’t make sense to accidentally crash into one of the distinct architectural attractions within the Manhattan skyline. I remember thinking that maybe the pilot was insanely drunk. It’s sad but I was honestly trying to figure out the possibilities all while the dry erase board was quickly filling up with the notes of an oblivious jerk of a teacher...

Now of course we all know that several hits happened after the first which confirmed the fact that it wasn’t a mistake. In my fifth period class after lunch, I heard a girl say that she heard that some guy named “Ben” planned the whole thing out. Of course, she was talking about Bin Laden but no one our age really knew a thing about Bin Laden before so she took Bin and thought they said Ben. Once they hit the Pentagon, I was scared out of my mind. I just knew that a nuclear bomb was going to hit Washington and completely wipe us out. Once the government announced the state of emergency and how everyone needed to go home, I rushed home. I couldn’t take my eyes off the television. The tragedy just sucked me in. The sights were unbelievable. It was like watching a scary movie…except it was real. Seven years later, I still forced back tears after seeing some of the pictures of the services at the memorials. America is in such a mess and whether or not you buy into the conspiracy theories about how Bush had a lot to do with 9.11, look at the mess we’ve been in since then. 9.11 catapulted the war we are still in now. Everything is such a mess and the worst part about is that sooo many people are in pain. People lost loved ones that day that they’ll never see again.

9.11- those symbolic numbers represent fear, emergency, pain, and distress. Those numbers are supposed to represent relief and a place of solace and help. But, in a place like America, 911 has been transformed. There’s no relief for anyone. Life is a battle that a lot of people are facing alone simply because the government has pushed the “every man for himself” concept. And this idea spreads so much further than the pain and suffering of the physically afflicted. What about those who are struggling psychologically or financially? What about those who work so hard only to see their hard-earned, honest money go to facilitate a war that only means big business for the supplier companies…I’ll leave my conspiracy theory alone for today. But, I don’t believe they’re the only ones making money. Needless to say, I’ll never forget. But, I honestly believe that Bush has. As I looked at him and his wife pay their respects on the South lawn of the White House, I couldn’t help but feel anger towards him. He has forgotten. He’s there in body, but his spirit was sold a long time ago. He’s forgotten the people who he’s leading. He’s forgotten that they’re people…with lives to facilitate, children to support, wounds that need healing, and pockets that are completely empty. He is to be held accountable/responsible as a president but ultimately, he’ll have to answer to God. I’m not stating that to be vindictive. But, honestly we all do. I just wouldn’t want to be him. That’s the bottom line.
But there are parallels between Bush and my junior yr. teacher. Bush stopped to acknowlegde the madness( only because he had to) but not long enough to care. He had his own agenda and carried it out. The fact that people are in complete shock, disarray, and disbelief at what is coming to pass for our country is inevitable and sad to watch. But, what's even worse is that we have a President who, like my teacher, has turned his back and has continued with his agenda no matter how crappy and irrelevant it might be.

On a semi-lighter note, my close friend Jasmine was born on Sept. 11. The day it happened was her sweet 16. Now she can never forget. Her birthday is a national day of mourning. I’m so sad that she has to deal with that every year now. But, I’m so grateful God brought her into my life. She’s such a great friend. We just graduated from Oakwood together so it’s my first time (since I’ve known her) being away from her on her birthday. But, Happy Birthday, Jasmine! I love you and I hope you have a wonderful day! I thank God for your life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one for your portfolio. It's gripping...best one by far. I really like how you connected your 11th grade experience to what's happening now. It really puts things in perspective. And I agree...only God knows and whoever is really responsible has that day of judgment to face...