Friday, June 13, 2008

Forever 21:cheap whore of the fashion industry

Well, I finally finished unpacking, repacking, unloading, rearranging, organizing, and cleaning the spot in the house that is now all mine. And according to a certain "smartypants", I need to update my blog. So here I am :)
In order to deal with the frustration of life not going the way I wanted, I did what any girl would do. I went shopping. I can't keep this up because I need to keep some sort of financial cushion, ya dig? But, I had a lot of fun. I went to the mall and ventured into territory I hadn't visited in quite some time: there's no Forever 21 in Huntsville and I hadn't left Huntsville until a week ago. To my dismay, everything I tried on looked horrible. It either looked incredibly cheap or extremely generic. I feel like Forever 21 has taken the art of fashion and watered and cheapened it down so much that anyone can look like the women from SATC, which may be good news to some. But, then every other girl that passes is totting the big diva glasses, which are pretty cute, but then these horrible miniskirt/lowcut beaded top(hoochie) combos that are convincingly "fabulous" to High School Musical-esque consumers. I know some would be surprised to hear me say this mainly because I literally was in F21 every other day. I would try on the clothes and it literally became another god. Scary! I've changed and I'm happy about that. There is a certain something special about seeing a really well-put together outfit ( and effortless!). And it doesn't even have to be pricey! The clothes could be taken from K-mart and matched with something from Nordstroms or the thrift store and look completely amazing. But people are either lazy or clueless but still want to pull off something that says "I am a fashion guru!" No the heck you're not! You went to Forever 21 and bought something that was pretty much pre-picked for you. Where's the creativity? Where's the fun in it?

So I've decided to be plain jane.

I bought a few polos, some flip flops, 2 pairs of shades and called it a day. I'd rather look like I'm about to play golf than be associated with such fashion nonsense! I sound shallow, don't I? I'm literally laughing at what I'm saying because I really do believe it! lol.

Please note:
Forever 21 has nice merchandise. Just try not to make it painfully obvious that your "flyness" is a generic brand that comes in sizes S,M, and L.

2 comments:

THE P.O.L.R exPRESS said...

LOL!!! I love your writing Rasp! Keep it up!

Amber K. Boyd said...

Okay you have a point. I definitely agree that style is handed out like it's not innate and people are going around thinking they have a smidget of real fashion talent when in fact they do not. So when there is something that actually is not cute but on the mannequin they put it on and try to pull it off like it's different--call it individual style. Fashion mishap!

So for all the ladies who pull straight from the racks and from the mannequins, your clothes don't make you stylish, they make you typical.

Forever 21: Proponent of clone technology. Bring in the clones.