Last weekend, I traveled to Richmond, VA to speak as Miss Oakwood for a girls' etiquette program commencement ceremony. It was great to spend time with close friends and meet new people at the event. I was the key note speaker and public speaking can be a little stressful for me but I'm learning to overcome that (thanks, God!). At the beginning of the program, a poem was read entitled "Beauty Tips" by Audrey Hepburn. Now, Audrey Hepburn represents beauty, class and elegance all wrapped up into one. She's such a beautiful woman and I plan on reading her biography this summer after I finish reading "Dreams of My father" by Obama (which really is a great read!). As the tips were read, alot of them seemed so self-explanatory and obvious until one hit me like a ton of bricks. "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anybody."....WHAT? For those who know me, they know that I have a habit of dismissing people from my life who I feel have the potential to induce great stress upon me. I have a low tolerance for people that are ignorant and downright rude. A great debate stirs within as to whether or not the person is valuable enough to my life to keep them around. As time goes on, more and more people are telling me that it's not a good thing to do. I guess I just don't understand why! Why should I entertain people who are rude, disrespectful, careless, and unforgivable? I can see how this train of thought could potentially put a fork in any type of love life, but frankily I don't care. I'd rather be miserable and alone than miserable with someone I handpicked to be with me. I'd kick myself in the face...if I could. I feel like keeping someone in your life who consistently inflicts stress and demands that you carry their emotional baggage is ridiculous. Why live like that?...and I don't even wanna here "because it's the Christian thing to do." To me, that's bogus. I don't see how I can agree with that. Maybe I need someone to sit down and explain it to me or maybe I need to grow up a little more to understand.
But, here's the poem. You can read it and see if it inflicts a thought process within that will force you to take a look at who you are and habits that either need to be picked up or left behind. Ciao!
For attractive lips, Speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, Seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, Share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, Let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, Walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed; Never throw out anybody.
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm.
As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.
The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.
The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a Woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows.
And the beauty of a woman, with passing years only grows!
For lovely eyes, Seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, Share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, Let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, Walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed; Never throw out anybody.
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm.
As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.
The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.
The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a Woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows.
And the beauty of a woman, with passing years only grows!


No comments:
Post a Comment