Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lovely Living

I've been working for an interior decorator for almost 4 months now and have yet to share any of my golden nuggets I've picked up. Shame, I know. But, it's better late than never, right?
I've always really liked the idea of interior decorating. All my rooms in undergrad had some kind of funky motifs going on. And I look forward to the day when I can finally set up shop, paint, decorate, and enjoy the fruits of my labor for more than a school year or a semester! :) That day will come soon! I just know it!
In the meantime, here are some great sources of inspiration. Your artistic wheels will be dusted off and churning after this one.
  • You have a big wall. It's just a big block of empty space. You're not quite sure how to even begin decorating it. There's no painting large enough (that you can afford) and you don't have the energy or time to paint the entire thing....What's a person to do? ......STYROFOAM! Sounds cheap (that's cuz it is) but, buy a few blocks of Styrofoam in whatever sizes you like, dress them in wrapping paper or stylish scrapbooking paper and you've got really cute wall art.

  • But, if you don't want to do the wall art idea, that's cool. If you just wanna change up a room and give a bolt of color, just paint a wall...or all the walls. It's really not that hard. Just take a few hrs. on a Sunday afternoon and knock it out one time.
  • In addition to that picture- Furniture can be pretty expensive. I went to one store where an Italian couch cost $23,000!!! The thing that made me mad about it was that it wasn't even cute! To justify 23 Gs, at least let it be cute!!! But, for those who are on a STRICT budget, Goodwill, Salvation Army and random thrift stores in a shopping plaza near you can be so much help. All you have to do is get them cleaned (or figure out a way to disinfect. lol.) and then, get a upholstery cover from Target, JC Penney, etc. Depending on the size of the couch, the covers can run from $50-$150...which is still cheaper than buying a brand new couch. To spruce it up, get some decorative pillows depending on your decor and you've got fabulousness( i hate that word. don't know why i just used it) to sit on.
  • That's all I have for now. Here are some rooms that I've come across in the past 4 mths that have given me dreams of a mortgage...sike. :)


    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    ahhhh!!! why didn't I know that you were an interior decorator? I guess we have more in common than I thought! I am novice, of course but I get hype watching HGTV everyday and i perform do it urself projects one a week. yay for the fashion minded of the home and the body...

    btw-thanks for ur tip on the coat.
    Niah