Tuesday was beautiful! I was filled with alot of pride watching the inauguration. I thought that it was a great ceremony and the parade was nice...it's refreshing to see a change in the White House administration and to see so many people gung-ho for an African American family....
But, I'm slightly annoyed that everything keeps going back to Martin Luther King, Jr. I feel as though every time a Black person does something great, it's attributed to King. I mean, nothing against Martin Luther King , however, Barack Obama is standing on the shoulders of a PEOPLE not just one person. So many people were whipped and beaten; pulled tobacco crops and ran to freedom on the Underground Railroad.
It wasn't just Martin Luther King behind the whole struggle and I feel that we give that man too much praise at times! I feel like Malcolm X is just as deserving of some credit and to me, his story is more ground-breaking in terms of "revolutionary thinking" simply because you could see the change and growth within Malcolm X. Malcolm X understandably didn't like whites...I mean, would you after they killed your father purely on race? And then, went buck wild, went to jail, changed his ways and joined the Nation of Islam, became passionate about the civil rights movement; went to Mecca; learned of his shortcomings in his "by any means necessary" mantra" and changed his strategies. It was by his own that he was killed. And by his own, he's forgotten as well. This isn't a Martin vs. Malcolm or a "Malcolm is better than Martin" debate...however, I just feel like Martin Luther King has been given the credit that belongs to an entire group of people. Yes, he was an amazing, influential, revolutionary thinker and leader...much like Obama is and will continue to be....however, if you're going to mention the Black struggle, don't start and end it with Bro. Martin. That's all I'm saying. ;0)
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment