Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Guess who's back?


I never thought I'd write in this blog again. I really didn't. 
I started another blog called Dream Something Up. Why would I reopen this one? 

Well, I got the idea literally today from Melissa Andrews. Melissa is such an inspiration to me in so many ways. I honestly believe she's superwoman but is trying to stay under cover.  She's the Communications Director at my church, Metropolitan SDA and she has her own blog too! Check it out!  She tweeted me a challenge from Jeff Goins encouraging writers to write 500 words a day for the next 31 days.  

I love to read and I love to write. I love to share what my interests and what I'm working on. On Dream Something Up, I've been sharing more about God and the lessons I learn. On DSO, I prefer to plan and have scheduled posts and that won't stop. However, it would be nice to continue where I left off here and right whatever I want to write about for 500 words and call it a day. At the same time, it would be a practice that I do daily as well. I already write almost daily for clients since I am a freelancer but I have a ton of room for improvement. I'm glad for this challenge and excited for where it will lead me. 

So the first day of the year is ending as quickly as it began. It makes me think that this year will do the same. 2013 literally flew by. I feel like I have been in a holding pattern of sorts for a while now. There have been a lot of struggles and challenges. I know that I can't control what God will do, but I do want to make sure that I'm doing what I can to ensure that I can live a life that's a little more stress-free. It's possible. I know it is. 2013 ended on a pretty sad note and I don't want to walk into 2014 with the same outlook. I decided that I will have to make a more concerted effort to fight for my happiness, peace and contentment. I need to become a little more liberal with the 'decline' button and let things go to voicemail. Of course, I'll respond in a timely manner. I'm not going off the grid but I do want to make sure that work within a set of boundaries. I've found that I allow certain people to walk all over my boundaries and while they are well meaning, it's not healthy for me. In turn, I become resentful and bitter. There's nothing cute about being resentful and bitter.

In 2014, I'm really excited because to give my year more purpose and focus, I've decided to call this year "the purple year". I won't get too deep into the story behind the name tonight but I love the color and I love life. I never took dance lessons. I've always wanted to have formal dance training. I've always wanted to learn how to sew. I'd love to buy pieces from the thrift store and then tailor them for my body. If I see a cute piece in a store, I'd like to be able to recreate it for myself. 

That's just the beginning of it all. I'm rambling but it's cool. No one reads this anyway. :) 

Good night. 
Oh and Happy New Year ;) 

2 comments:

Melissa Andrews said...

I read it. :-). Wishing you peace and contentment in 2014 too. I want to learn to play the guitar. Or do something else new. Maybe pick back up running. Let's encourage each other to do our new "me" stuff. And let's go see Ms. Mvula whenever she decides to come to the US!!' Love you!!

D A N I said...

Thank you! Ok, let's do that!!!! Encouragement is always needed! ;) And yes to Laura Mvula! Fingers crossed for 2014! Love u too! :)