Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Papi's in Town


Pope Benedict XVI makes his visit to the United States today. The circumstances on which he comes aren't the greatest: a scandal has broken out regarding sexual molestation of young boys within the Roman Catholic churches....(why is this no surprise?), he's mad about the war (aren't we all?) and he wants to discuss Islamic extremism(it's just like humans to point the finger at others even when their "embarrasing" sin is displayed in broad daylight ). Upon his arrival at Andrews Air Force Base, the pope was welcomed by President and Mrs. Bush. The pope is scheduled to have numerous appearances in Washington, D.C. and New York. He will be discussing the aforementioned issues as well as malnourisment and disease in Africa and issues in Lebanon. So the pope has a serious agenda in front of him for the next five days. My question is will the pope really be able to make a difference. Yeah, he can talk the talk and get a bunch of people fired up but what next? ``Benedict XVI is willing to defy the conventions when he thinks the truth is at stake,'' said George Weigel, a theologian and author of 20 books on Catholicism. ``You sometimes have to shake things up to get a serious conversation started.''( Quote taken from Yahoo.com). And yes, I agree with George Weigel as far as pinpointing issues and calling things as they are! However, I just don't understand what the Pope does for this country to be held at such high esteem. This isn't out of malice or ignorance but what does the pope truly do for people? Is he supposed to serve as some sort of spiritual covering? People devote their lives to the Pope as if he's God. Now, I have my own personal beliefs so I know why I don't really care too much for the concept of a pope, however for people who truly do believe in it, what concrete things has the pope done for their salvation? What has the pope said that isn't already in the scriptures? Better yet, will the pope actually be able to stop the war by confronting Bush about it? He can talk all he wants but shaking things up with a serious conversation can only do so much! I guess I'm just confused as to the purpose as Catholics see it!

No comments: