Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ode to the Unnoticed

Through a show entitled Real Life Divas, the BET Jazz channel honors beautiful Black women who have been in the public eye, but who alot of times, aren't recognized as often as they should be. A few wks. back, they honored Susan L. Taylor. Okay, so I admit I was a little misty-eyed simply because I love her story, her lifestyle, and her "In the Spirit" column. She speaks to me like no other writer does.
Anyhow, tonight it was about the wonderful, beautiful, talented, and soulful Tamia! My attention was diverted for half the show (my dad likes to talk alot during shows). Even so, I did hear Eric Benet sum up the essence of Tamia's voice so perfectly. "Tamia's voice is the perfect mix of purity and strength." How true! I couldn't have said it better myself. With soul-stirring staples like "I'm so into you", "Stranger in My House" and "Still in love with you", Tamia has etched her way into the hearts of so many but since her diagnosis with MS along with nurturing a family, her singing career has taken an understandable back seat. I reflected back and remembered that one summer when Tamia got me through my third little "heartbreak" (even though I wasn't in love for real) with "Officially Missing You". Boy, that song was on repeat all summer long! lol. I also thought about when "Still in love with you" came out and how I pictured myself singing that to my husband at our wedding! Cough...mi mi mi mi mi! Don't think I could if I tried now:(

Remember when Tamia sang "Tomorrow" at one of the BET Gospel award shows? Despite the occasional pitch problem, it was great! Her voice is ...the perfect mix of purity and strength...the perfect mix for a perfect delivery of the gospel message (well, I guess if you factor in the pitch problems, it's not so perfect, but who is?....beside Beyonce)

Wish I could pull out my Tamia CDs and take a trip down memory lane, but after G. Craig Lewis came out, I threw out alot of my secular CDs and I think Tamia's was one of them... Crap... Stupid fanatical phase...I'l have to double check though.

Fact of the matter is that Tamia will always be one of my fav. singers. :)
And I finally figured out how to upload videos from Youtube thanks to cousin Nikki! And so here's Tamia singing "So Amazing" by Luther Vandross! Enjoy and Happy 4th!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A heartbreak? And number 3 at that? Too cute. Great way to put yourself out there. You've got a really good blog Danielle. Glad to see you're writing in it more. I'm inspired to write right now.