Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Pageant Gospel Message

I heard Miss Black MD Alisha Jones on the radio a few days ago talking about her platform: the AIDS epidemic, the role music has played in her life, and the PhD she's currently obtaining in Ethnomusiciology. During her interview, she was dropping some knowlegde on the importance of academia and being in a position to document the experiences of our ancestors as well as the experiences that our Black brothers and sisters are facing now: good or bad. I'm sorry I can't remember everything she was talking about but I must say that my whole view of pageants has been turned around in a matter of a few years. I hated the idea of pageants when I was in high school. I thought they were shallow, pointless, and only reiterated ridiculous beauty stereotypes. While some of that still may be true, there is alot of positivity in pageants and alot of women whose lives can be changed for the better through the participation in one. As the current queen of my school, I can honestly say that being in a pageant changed my life for the better. I emerged as a stronger, better person from it and I learned how to multi-task, communicate effectively, and project my ideas in a way a woman should. I also perfected my little "social graces" and etiquette skills. I'm not completely transformed but there's a huge difference I can see and I wouldn't trade it for the world. In looking at the misfortunes of Miss America 2007 and 2008 (how embarrassing), I will say that we all agree with the gospel message: we fall down, but we get up! For a saint is just a sinner who fell down (but he didn't stay there! THANK YA!) and got up! lol.


No comments: